We are Family

We are Family
July /2015

Monday, September 26, 2011

Sunday Company

We have been looking forward to having our company come visit for a LONG time!!  Try, around 3 years!!  Dr. Clare Twist was Kohlie's neuroblastoma doctor from Lucile Packard Childrens Hospital.  She is a very  busy and well known lady in the business that she is in!  She was a great support to Kohlie and our family when Kohlie was going through treatment.  She cared and loved Kohlie very much!  When we decided we wanted to have Kohlie home in her last months and last days, Dr. Twist was supportive.  She was a little worried about how it would work because we live 40 miles away from the closest hospital facilities, but she worked with us to grant us our wish, which is what we believed Kohlie wanted and where Kohlie would be most comfortable.  In the last months and last days of Kohlie's life, when I struggled to be Mom and nurse to Kohlie and keep her comfortable, Dr. Twist was the ever present support.  She phoned often to see how Kohlie was, she answered questions that I had about medical issues, she encouraged me that I was doing the right thing (when I worried I couldn't keep Kohlie's comfort level right), and she asked specifically about each member of our family!!  After Kohlie passed away, Dr. Twist continued to call and see how we were coping!!  She told us that she planned to come visit our home some day and that she wanted to see where Kohlie spent her last days!  Dr. Clare Twist:

We had Sunday dinner for Clare and Dr. Karen Kristovech, who was Kohlie's BMT (bone morrow transplant) doctor.  Karen was absolutely amazing with Kohlie as well.  She enjoyed her so much!  Our visits were always very laid back with Karen and there were times that Karen spent much of the time playing with Kohlie!  Our Sunday visit was such a very special time!!  It brought back many memories of Kohlie and both of the ladies said they could envision now different things we would talk about, and how long our trip REALLY was!!!! 

 Both of them had their lab dogs with them and Bella loved to watch them to tricks!!

 It was almost as if we stepped back in time, as we watched Karen VERY quickly win Bella over and they played together and Karen was thrilled to just be with her and the other kids as well!!  Cade even made a comment about it was as if it was Yesterday that we watched her with Kohlie.  Karen said, "We just need her little uh, errh, Georgie!!"  (That was the name of Kohlie's blankie that she loved.)
My daughter has the camera!!

                                         Treva has the camera AGAIN!!


I felt such sadness, just thinking that this chapter in my life is over.  Most of all, it is because Kohlie is missing from the pages, but it is also these fine people that we interacted with at the hospital that we grew close to and shared a very difficult time with.  They will always hold such a special place in our hearts because of the way we watched them care for our daughter and fight for her life beside our family!! 

       

7 comments:

Jenae said...

Special!

Sarah said...

WOW! They must be two special special ladies!

Unknown said...

Wow, so special, made me tear up!

Heidi said...

Now THIS is special. It's proof they really gave themselves in the experience...not just a job...but a real doctor. I'd willingly come spend a Sunday with y'all, too...and I'm not even a doctor. ;) Loveya

Lani said...

When will I ever learn not to read your blog, my dear Angelina, at work? Oh how my heart aches today reading this. And oh how I wish Kohlie was in these pictures right alongside the rest of you. But she's in your hearts, I know. I feel I love you deeper because of what you went through with Kohlie. Is that strange?

Marla said...

What very special doctors when they will take time to come and visit a family. Glad you were able to enjoy this time!!

Angela said...

Lani,
No, that's not strange - it's special too!! Thanks for all the comments!!