Please don't be judgmental because instead of cleaning my house (which clearly needs it!!) I am sitting at the computer posting on my blog. Instead of being with my kiddos (they are all awake) I am sitting here posting. Instead of cooking dinner (I called in pizza for my hubs to pick up) I am blogging. Instead of packing for our trip next week (it takes a lot of preparation to get a family of eight out the door for a week vacation) I am venting here on my blog. The truth is, I need to vent.
I knew hard days were to come but never could I fully understand what we would be dealing with after Eden and Bereket came home. I did a lot of reading but there was no way I could grasp how challenging adopting an older child would be. Please don't misunderstand me, because I can't imagine them now NOT being in our home!!!
See, the thing is, Eden is not a troublesome child. She appears quiet, very well behaved, cheerful, and loving. Everyone looking on says, "Well, she is adjusting so well!!" What we are finding out is that SOME of this is most definitely a front because of some of her fears that are within her little heart (the root of them all right now seems to be that if she gets in trouble that she will be sent back to ET). While we are trying to help her with her fears (we have had many, many talks with her), she still sometimes gets so anxious that she is not even able to talk! She will actually "freeze up" for reasons that are not always apparent to us, such as last night when Cade asked her if she wanted a cookie. She would not answer. We both believed she clearly wanted a cookie. Anyway,.... I find I am always double guessing everything. I am trying to understand my daughter (and son) and just when we think we are making huge strides, we take six steps back. Today, for instance, Eden was anxious and when she gets anxious it inhibits her thinking process, so everything is difficult!!! The running tactic did not work as well for Eden today. She was not using it to her benefit! (Do you think it was because it was raining and not quite as pleasant?) Most possibly.
Even though Bereket has only been home for two months, he seems to also be showing more of his true colors. Maybe it is because he is younger and does not have as much
The one thing I am finding is that these things don't solve quickly. They take a lot of time, a lot of patience, a lot of work. Believe me, I don't have half the patience I need to deal with it all but I find myself on my knees quite a bit!
7 comments:
On your knees is definitely where patience needed comes from! I think of you and your family often. There's quite a long haul ahead but with God's help it will all work out. Just not quite the way it was pictured to begin with!!
Oh Angela, as I was reading the thought came to me... you are a very loving person!! So know that I am sending you a great big hug!!!
It's hard to prepare adequately for the adoption journey...and then when you're on it, there's more questions than answers. One thing is sure: early childhood trauma colors behavior in all sorts of ways. Things don't sort out quickly. Hugs & prayers.
I am been following quietly but with great respect for the wonderful job you are doing. I too appreciate those that keep it real on thier blogs, and how much it inspires the rest of us. I have to tell you...you are doing a great job, but in even in giving it your all, doesn't mean there will not be bumps along the road. You have a beautiful family...hugs to you a 'wonderful' momma!
I would never criticize you for blogging when there are so many other things that you could be doing - that would be hypocritical! ;)
I admire your courage to start this journey. Difficult as it is for everyone (not discounting at all the joy part of it), I believe anything they're getting with you is better than what they had. Hugs.
At barakets age iron was chewing the same bite of food for a really long time and can still take a really long time to eat! I am sure you are doing a wonderful job ... all we can do is our best and the house can wait! Sending some love and patience your way if it is possible!
Keep going :) I would say it gets easier, which it does, but then it is also always just changing and new challenges. Like all our kids but with a different twist that leave me still second guessing alot after 6 years. God has a plan for them and you and you know it is for your benifit and theirs.
Blessings,
Donna
Post a Comment