It was basketball awards night. I was very proud of my daughter. She got the M and M award which stood mind and motivation!! Her coach went on to say that often Treva pointed out when the girls were not following Coach's orders and what they were doing wrong!! That's my girl!! I commended her for not wasting her time on the bench but still learning even when she wasn't playing on the court! She had to laugh on the way home when she said, "Even my coach thinks I am bossy!!" Treva pretty much says what she thinks and sees!! (I have no idea where she gets it!!!)
| Treva's coach giving her the award! |
These pictures are not good but I had Little Bear on my lap as I was trying to get a couple of pictures. Can't wait until I get my i phone. It will be much handier than lugging my cannon camera around!!
Thanks everyone who left comments on and off the blog!!! I really wanted to hear feedback because I am interested in what works for you!! These are my closing thoughts on sports (I am still open to hearing more comments on this though!!).
Just like every child is different, every family is different as well. What works for one family may not for another. Part of our hesitancy with sports is because we have to drive a LOT every way we go. We are pretty much in the middle or far end (whichever way you want to look at it) of everything!! We drive 20 miles to Seiad Valley for Treva and Katreese's school and Cyrus goes to high school in Yreka which is 40 miles away!! That brings me to BALANCE!! If there is not balance in the family, we get stressed out and that brings tension, so some things may tip the scale, so to speak!!!
First things first. I am glad for what was mentioned in my comments about this! Cade played sports, as I mentioned but it was always a rule that they did NOT miss fellowship meetings!! The coaches knew this was the rule and respected it. Same rule applies in our home. The coaches are told before the kids become a part of any team, that if it interferes with our meetings, the kids will have to leave early or miss a game. I think this is so important in teaching our children that no matter what, God comes first.
Coaches have a lot to do with how beneficial sports is for our children. It is not about winning, like I reminded Treva again this season. If you are learning about the game, good sportsmanship, and working together as a team, these are things that will help you through life no matter what you do. It can be good exposure as was left in a comment if your children need it to help them to learn to interact socially. I want to mention that our kids have done baseball (small school so it's both boy and girls together on a team) almost every year and that is usually the sport of the year. Anyway, last year they had a really great coach. What I really appreciated about him is that he made sure he gave EVERY kid opportunities to shine or prove themselves!! It wasn't only about winning.
Still, if my kids are a part of so many activities outside of school that it takes away from our family time, it is NOT worth it to me! There is so much that we can do together right here at our home, without even having to go anyplace. In that, I also know that we are very fortunate. We don't live in the city and our children have each other to play with and many acres (horses to ride, ATVs, dirt bikes, bicycles, rollerblading, hiking, fishing, hunting, forts to build, hay to climb, swimming, gardening (smile!!)!!
Okay, last but not least. I think it is true as was mentioned in a comment that sports has become a religion, or you could say an obsession here in America. I suppose you could say I don't want to feed into that AT ALL!! I don't want to encourage my children that's all right! I still like the thought, though, that the candle has been lit, now let them shine, wherever they go and whatever works in your family!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment