It was almost comical to me at times that our agency coordinators in country wanted our itinerary to be chocked full of events and things to do. If it wasn't for Bereket, I would be fine with that, but I wanted first and foremost for our bonding time with Bereket to get off to a good start, and that was in Ethiopia!! However, we both knew that we would not be going back to Ethiopia any time soon now. So, it was arranged for our first driver, Yosef, who spoke better English, to take us to the country on Thursday morning.
We left the guesthouse at 8:30 in order to beat rush hour, according to Tsedey, but that didn't seem to be the case. The traffic was crazy as every other day and I just had to keep a hold of my baby, close my eyes at times, and try not to inhale too many fumes!! I think the fumes bothered me more than last trip!!! I thought maybe the driving would get better as we got further out of Addis Ababa, but it was actually the opposite. When we got to the edge of the city, we got into the industrial part of the city and then we saw big trucks!! Yosef told us that the country people were crazy drivers and always in a hurry (probably because they had to go further) and then mix that in with the BIG vehicles and more bumps in the road (if that is possible), and you get a wild ride!! Bereket did so well, though, and he even fell asleep briefly on the way. I was super relieved he didn't get carsick! One thing we noticed in the country was that you saw more people really working and going places, whereas in the city there are just SO many people standing around!!
traffic jam
Yosef took us to a dining resort (mostly for Ethiopians) that was around a volcanic lake. It was pretty but not overly maintained. We ordered coffee and a mango smoothie for Bereket. We enjoyed the quietness there! It was at this place that I decided to go to the restroom and I got locked in!! Funny thing, because when I closed the stall, I noticed it didn't seem to have a latch or handle, so I tried not to even close it. It's not like there were many people there anyway. When I was ready to leave the stall, though, I found that the door WAS latched. I didn't know how and I sure hadn't heard it latch. Lucky for me, I could see through a little peep hole in the stall and the main bathroom door was open, so I could see Cade walking with Bereket after numerous times of trying to figure out how to get the door unlatched. I hollered for Cade and he set me free!! WHEWW!!
Next, Yosef took us to a very nice resort a little further away that was also built around a volcanic lake, called Kariftu Resort & Spa. We had to pay fees for the day of visiting since we were not a member. The place was very beautiful and serene, especially the place where they practiced their mellowing "drugs." It was a very beautiful, warm day and I was really glad I had thrown in Bereket's hat. Our fee for the day included lunch and dessert, so we enjoyed some really good food. However, Bereket was growing tired by that time, so it was not too relaxing. Oh, the joys of parenthood!
the place to be mellow - HA!
the restaurant part
Cade and Yosef walking into the restaurant.
Upper bar area.
Lower dining area by the lake.
banana tree.
mango tree
very good food.
We headed back to the city and Bereket slept some more. By the time we made it to Addis Ababa, Bereket and I were both hot and miserable!! We went back to Bereket's orphanage, Enat Alem, for his farewell ceremony! When we arrived I could tell that Bereket was anxious. I wasn't sure if he was still tired, but then it became quite obvious that he was NOT sure about being back! The nanny's were happy to see him and started kissing him and speaking to him, but he gave them all the cold shoulder!! He is good at this, we have found, ignoring people when he is not interested!! I took him back to the baby room where he could see his buddy, Dagmu (don't know the spelling) but once again, he would not pay any attention to him!! They were preparing the coffee ceremony, so I followed Bereket around on the uneven courtyard between the buildings. It is very uneven, with many holes so it is no wonder they don't let the babies out very often, but Bereket was ready to walk around. One nanny in particular loved on Bereket and he seemed to get more relaxed as time went on. It was a little weird, because here Cade and I had been watching over Bereket for the past days, so I felt it was my duty to keep watch of him, but it was obvious that the nanny's and other children there were also very familiar with him (of course) and watching after him. There were chairs set up for the coffee ceremony and I also did not want to be disrespectful, because I knew we were expected to sit there for the ceremony, which was a bit formal (if possible for ET). Anyway, it was interesting. Yosef was there with us as well and so he offered to watch Bereket for me so I could sit. After a while I hadn't seen Bereket for some time and asked Yosef where he was and he told me he had went back into the baby room. There is one window in the baby room, so I just looked in the window and saw Bereket toddling around, apparently fine. He looked out the window, though, and saw me and then he wen to a corner behind a crib and was standing very still. I asked the nanny if he was okay. She didn't know but he stayed there very still, so I asked if he was crying and she shook her head yes. I immediately went in the baby room and said, "Bereket, Mommy is right here." He rushed over to me. So, it is interesting to think what was going through his little mind, but I wonder if he thought we were going to leave him again! I also watched several times when Bereket walked over to Yosef's car and tried to open the doors! The rest of the time that we were there, Bereket stayed closer to me and he would look our way very often and give and big smile, and then keep playing!
The director with the kids looking at a camera.
The head nanny and director with Bereket.
Bereket and his buddy, Dagmu.
Getting kisses and saying last good-byes.
They boiled the coffee three times, expecting us to drink a cup each time! The coffee is very strong but delicious! I was needing it by that time anyway, but by the last cup I was on a caffeine high!! They serve popcorn as well, which Bereket enjoyed some. We took a picture of the director and head nanny with Bereket. Once again, our case was a special case because of all the extra work that went into it to get things straightened out, so I really wanted to thank the director and others who had put in extra time with the interviews for our attorney!!
After our time at Enat Alem and saying our good-byes, we asked our driver to take us to do some last minute gift shopping. One thing I was planning was to buy some injera to bring back to Eden, but when we got to the market (where I had seen it earlier in the week), they were all out!! COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!! No injera for Eden. Oh, well. We did some shopping by the post office, for those of you who have been in ET. The beggars were relentless that evening and after such a full day and our last day of being there, I could hardly stand any more!!! One young boy that was begging had a very badly burned face and he spoke in English to us, "No father, no mother. Please, food!!" Our driver told us that many of these were thieves as well. The truth is, there are many times that we would have loved to help an individual, especially those that are crippled, but the minute that you try to help one, you would immediately be surrounded by 10 more!!! There were many times I just had to look away! It was hard.
Before we knew it, we were packing our bags to leave Ethiopia!! So happy to be headed home, but so many torn feelings!! It is crazy how I was happy to be leaving (going to the comforts of my own home and family) and yet I felt torn about leaving those people, especially the birth families! One thing that always speaks to me is how happy the people are, yet hardly possessing anything natural. When we went out in public with Bereket there were many looks and stares, but most of the people seemed very grateful to us and eager to please. They love children and so everyone was eager to talk to Bereket and touch him! We left Addis Ababa without any glitches, at 11:30, so we were bone tired when we got on the plane. How incredible of a feeling, though, to finally be headed home with our little guy. There were so many months we wondered when it would ever happen, sometimes if it would happen. I remember numerous times on the airplane and on our trip that the verse came to mind, about a man with his quivers full. I found the verse this week in my readings, when I was not even looking specifically for it (although I had intentions of finding it because it had come to mind so often lately). Ps 127:5 "Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them..." referring to children. The verses before, "Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord..." Just feel very, very thankful.... my quivers are full!
Held Family that stayed at the Weygoss with us and they flew out on the same flight as us!
4 comments:
What an amazing journey with so many memories!! Glad you got to make the trip!!
Oh, I've loved to read all of this! Reading about him crying behind the crib just reminds me how tender the hearts of our little children really are. I am so glad for all the happiness that your family has experienced with these 2 new little ones!
Very special to read of your time in ET while getting Bereket and how wonderful that his attachment to you was so strong during all the transition, even when it had him feeling unsure & insecure at times. It's heartwarming to read what you wrote of the people of ET, how happy they are in spite of having so little, and how much their children are loved. That foundation will serve Bereket well!
And Eden, too...I should have said :)
Post a Comment