I don't really have time for a post but have so much on my mind, I thought I may try to simplify or condense this. First off, I am processing so much from what I am reading in this book and I truly feel hope and understanding from a whole different angle for the first time in a very long time!!
Then, today I went to A Bushel and a Peck blog, and it was so much on the same topic of my thoughts. Her post title was called "I Used To Be A Good Mom." So much understanding!
Every person who makes a choice to parent the hurt child has a dream (or adopt children who have experienced any trauma, who is every single adopted child by the way). These vary, but many include the anticipated fulfillment of helping someone else out of a tough situation, the feelings of satisfaction when a grateful child returns our love, the joy of seeing a person flower from a child into an adult reaches his or her full potential! These are the things that all parents hope for, based on their own backgrounds and their own childhoods. And therein lies a problem, for most who choose to parent hurt children are functional people without early abuse and neglect of their own. They often have a record of successfully used without prior birth children may not be effective with their hurt children. And tragedy results.
This is where we are, people! Yes, we had read a lot of books, we felt prepared as best as we could be, but the truth it, parenting our hurt children (specifically, Eden) is really hard and we cannot use the same parenting techniques that we used with our biological children and, yes, often I feel like I really bad parent and very inadequate but now I am seeing that is normal.
Nothing, but nothing, can turn a normal household into a nonfunctional- even dangerous and threatening - environment as fast as bringing into the home a rebellious hurt child who doesn't understand love. The child's attitude and behavior turns everything topsy-turvy. The other children often feel neglected, picked on, angry, or resentful. Loving couples who previously agreed on parenting approaches find themselves disagreeing and doubtful not only about each other's behavior but about the motive's itself! Family, neighbors, and friends who considered a couple saintly for taking in the troubled children, upon seeing the children's continuing misbehavior, begin to question the couple's parenting competence and even their character.
If one is nice to someone, one expects the other to be nice back. If one is mean, it is understandable that others are mean in return (although that is not what the bible teaches). If one smiles, he or she expects a smile in return. If one is giving, it is expected that others will probably give in return. All this makes sense in our usual world. In the topsy-turvy world of hurt and disturbed childre, all these normal responses may not occur; they have to be taught. Hurt children learned early in their lives that smiles are not to be trusted. They know that adult actions end in pain. They are "hard-wired" by early experiences to know that the only safety is in total and complete control of their emotional and physical environment. The chaotic past living inside their heads becomes the chaos they project onto others in their home.
While I don't want to scare anyone and make our situation sound worse than it is, these are excerpts from the book at the beginning and it may give a little light to those wondering what we are really dealing with. This may shed light and help others even to understand in a small measure to those who care and wish to know. I know it is shedding light in some areas and in others is is a reminder, all of which is beneficial and helpful at this point. Not only that, but it gives solutions and helps explain why oftentimes things work and do not work!
8 comments:
Not as a parent but as a teacher of broken children can i relate in a small measure. All you have shared in this post is so helpful and such a good reminder. I continue to hold your little family in my heart, mind and prayers.
are there any adopted children reading this? Would be helpful to hear their views.
As an adoptee, I can relate to Eden. Taken from her homeland to reside with a family of a different race and culture and expected to behave and conform.
I'm no saying you dinna care aboot her. You say you love her, but she has no reason at all to love you
Berkleyscot, we all have reasons to love. I have never met Eden but from reading this blog it sounds like she had some pretty terrible experiences in her homeland. Perhaps God's path for her is to discover family love in her new family and country. Life is a journey for everyone. Sometimes terrible things happen. In this instance he is using this family to help this little girl heal and perhaps using this little girl to help others.
To C and A, I don't know what to say to encourage you, but after reading that last comment, I just felt like I wanted to tell you that there are so many of us behind you and trusting in God that he will help us all do what he has given us to do! I love your little family even though I have only ever met your oldest.
Love, Alyssa R. (Wisecup)
I have such an urge to want to educate people w/ more of these things because understanding can help so many things!! Thanks, Gina!
Berkleyscot,
I know Eden had no reason to love us when she first came to our family but she does have reason to love us now and more than that, she does love her family!!! I know that!! In fact, some times it is the fear of losing her family that she has now (she never experienced the true meaning of family before) that drives her behaviors because she has experienced that before (which I can relate to even if it isn't the same as her loss.)
I can understand the pressure of feeling a need to behave or conform to something but it's interesting because when Eden came to our home she spent so much energy into "fitting into our family" because she wanted to be part of our family and now later on I think we are just seeing more of the real Eden and ways she is jus "hard-wired." She has absolutely no desire of any part of her homeland or culture right now because it represents hurt to her. At this point, even her Aunt who did love her (even tho she didn't always protect her) she chose not to put on her heart map - things that r in her heart- when she did therapy last week.
Also, I am re-reading the book called Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew with our local Adoptive Moms Group!
Alyssa,
Wow!! Don't know how u found our blog but good to hear from you, old friend!!! You are right, God is using E's life to teach our family more in many ways and in expanding our love and he will use this experience and E's to touch as many lives as possible!
Thanks so much for the encouragement!! Very timely! Take care!
I don't remember how I found it either! Probably it was a mutual friend's blog....maybe Lani's? Anyway, you have a beautiful family. I think it is so helpful to me to read your writing because it is so truthful. Life is precious and beautiful and yet some storms in life cause such despair. I can not grasp the magnitude of what you all are going through, but I relate completely with not being able to handle life and it's curve balls alone! Anyway, if you don't mind, I will probably keep checking in. And maybe someday we'll see you again in person.
Love, Alyssa
Of course i don't mind you checking in! Like I have said before, i told myself the only way I wd do a blog is if it is the truth, even if it isn't all wonderful and perfect because.... Yep, no one's life is!!!
Post a Comment